Woodland Survival: Guide
This is a guide intended to give some advice to anyone hoping to live without much contact with the city. This is a tough lifestyle, but can be very rewarding, and - more importantly - safe, once you have the basics down.
These are some of the bare basics you will need to live in the wild. These are more or less mandatory, unless you have a specific variant playstyle in mind, or an additional ability (mutatation, bionic, etc.) that allows you to bypass the problem:
- A butchering tool - Your pocket knife is ideal, but basically any bladed weapon will do. This is to allow you to butcher animals for meat. Grab a steak knife or combat knife if you can though.
- A tent or shelter kit - These allow you to survive acid rain in the absence of more permanent accommodation.
- Stone pot - This allows you to boil water and cook meat. Pots and frying pans also do the trick, if you can get hold of them.
- Lighter - This will allow you to set wood on fire. It will run out eventually, so be prepared to go look for more, after a month or so.
- Plastic bottle - You will need at least one container for holding water, two if you can't boil water on the spot and have to carry the dirty water with you. Glass jars hold 500mL of water, enough for one drink, and bottles hold 1L, enough for two. Keep an eye out for a jerrycan or gallon jug (Unload a jug of bleach, rotten milk, or ammonia from the inventory and pour it on the ground) and keep it at your base.
It's possible to live without these, but they are helpful. In some cases living without them will take a lot of skill.
- A wood axe or stone axe - This will allow you to chop down large trees, making for better firewood, and construction materials.
- Shovel (a normal or a stone one) - This will allow you to build pits, which will catch small animals, but also can keep you safe at night.
- Bear traps - These will also catch small animals, and can be a useful defense if you are attacked by an actual bear (or other beasts).
- Wood saw - This will let you break logs down into usable construction material, so is essential for building more permanent shelter.
- Ranged Weapon - This will let you hunt, and defend yourself. Anything from a nail gun to a crossbow is viable, as long as ammunition is plentiful and, preferably, craftable. Throwing weapons such as spears should work as well, assuming you are willing to invest in the throwing skill.
Good Camp Locations
A good camp needs three things:
- Water Source - This can be a lake (a small collection of River tiles), a river, or a swamp, as long as you have some way to clean it. Stay away from rivers and swamps unless you have a way to deal with hordes of giant insects & other marshland critters--preferably a quiet way, because they spawn based on noise--or turn Classic Zombies on in the Options to disable them altogether.
- Distance from town - You don't want Zs wandering in at night.
- Distance from spawn zones like swamps, or slime pits - Swamps especially can be brutal, even to experienced players. Ant hills and Triffid groves can be hazardous too.
Sometimes you can find and take control of an existing shelter:
- Cabins without much else near them - Cabins have good storage space and are a good place to sleep. Disregard it as a safe base if it has any dangers near it, such as swamps or a fungal bloom.
- Farms - With farming on the horizon, this mother lode can provide a great sustainable food source, but go in strapped because Farmer Maggot and his dogs are probably still hanging around. Many useful tools spawn on farms.
- LMOE shelters - These are built for just this sort of thing. Since they're underground, you can operate somewhat closer to spawn zones (the world only operates on the same z-level as you, so sleeping undergrounds pauses surface activity).
|Guides||Player guides and tips · Choosing Martial Arts Styles · The First Day · How to survive your first day: (Dynamic Spawn Mode | Static Spawn Mode) · Beyond the first day · Killing zombies · Making a Supercar · Night Raids · Nomadic Living · Woodland Survival ·Hobo's Guide to the Apocalypse · Archer Guide · FAQ · Beginner Character Build Tips · Advanced Character Build Tips · Farming · Weapons getting stuck|
|Advanced Guides||Fungal Bloom · Marloss Berry · Mine · Strange Temple · Triffid Grove · Lab Challenge|
|Technical||Mod Manager · CataModder · Cheating · How to compile · Tileset Support|